20 June 2010

Great Falls National Park: VA Side

Last week I had lunch with a friend who mentioned a place called Great Falls National Park. I have lived in the D.C. area for over six years now and until this weekend I could not imagine a place this awesome exists so close to the metro area. It’s a section of the Potomac River where the water picks up speed as it flows down over jagged rocks. The River then flows through Mather Gorge. There are several areas, uniquely called Overlook 1, Overlook 2 and Overlook 3, where you can look out over the gorge and the rapids.

On Saturday we went with my friend Stephanie and her dog Shane to check it out. Shane looks a lot like Tramp from Lady and the Tramp. Unfortunately, neither of us remembered to bring a camera so I can’t prove that just yet. I’ll snap a photo of him the next time we go. With Stephanie and Shane, we walked on a path that looked over the rapids and the gorge. Because we had so much fun Saturday, Bennie and I went back on Sunday evening. We walked in the opposite direction on Sunday. It was amazing how quickly the Potomac goes from quiet, serene waters to treacherous, rough rapids. Here are some photos of Bennie from Sunday.









He was exhausted by Sunday night and fell asleep while chewing on his duck.

No comments:

Post a Comment